There really aren't enough hours in my days at the moment, the past couple of weeks have been so busy and I've not had time write the blog posts I thought I was going to write. Instead I'm stopping by with a collection of scenes from May, taken since my last post.
There was another walk a couple of weekends ago...
| A signing redstart |
| crab apple blossom |
As well as a visit to Sheffield for a walk in the bluebell woods.
| finding ten colours in nature (working towards my Get Wild Badge!) |
I spotted some longhorn moths flying around the top of this tree ...
| Bogbean in Ma & Pa's pond |
| Wild garlic during a very quick lunchtime walk |
I was in Sheffield again last weekend to see VNV Nation for the second time this year (very good they were too) and on the way home, made a quick stop to see Monyash Well Dressings...
This board celebrates the toads that breed here each year. Monyash has the busiest 'Toad Patrol' in Derbyshire. Each spring, several volunteers spend the nights ensuring that the toads returning to their ancestral home get across the road safely to breed in the mere. There used to be five ponds in Monyash but these days only one remains.
This month I also did some really interesting training with the Bumblebee Conservation Trust, learning how to lead bumblebee safaris, then worked Wild Wednesday this week for Derbyshire Wildlife Trust where we led bee safaris and had some bee themed activities happening.
Today, I was able to spend a few minutes outdoors watching bees visit iris and also spotted several types of fly, including this hoverfly, Rhingia campestris. I haven't seen one of these for a while.
| a garden bumblebee |
30 Days Wild begins again tomorrow (I've not even managed to write a blog post about that to see if anyone I know is joining in again!) and although life is busy, I'm going to attempt a daily 30 Days Wild blog post again as I've done it every year so it would be shame to skip this one just because I'm working longer days than I ever have before... I'm already struggling to keep on top of everything but it's only for a month, so I'll try to keep up with the blog throughout June...
That said, I'm starting off the month with a long, wild day and won't have chance to get on my computer at all tomorrow, so my day 1 blog post will not be on time, I'll be playing catch up on Sunday or Monday!
Are you taking part in 30 Days Wild this year?


I'd like to take part in it this year...will try to do this!
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of the Get Wild badge! Looks super cool!