Pages

Thursday, 28 May 2015

My Wild Inspirations (61-90)

I've spent a few evenings working on a list of possible inspiration for 30 Days Wild! Before I even knew it, I was approaching 100 ideas! Some of them came from The Wildlife Trusts and The National Trust but many of them are my own - just the sorts of things I do anyway!

I keep thinking of more and more things I could add, but I've decided to stop and keep it to 90 things,  splitting it into 3 blog posts to make it more manageable as  I've also 'illustrated' my list with my own photos - all taken by me (or featuring me!) over the last few years.

It's been great fun browsing through my (extensive!) photo archives to find photos to match an idea on the list and I've really enjoyed reminiscing about past adventures whilst I've been putting the list together! I really hope this will be of use to someone reading!

Here are my next 30 wild ideas...                                          (you can click on them to enlarge any of the photos)

61 Go Cloud spotting - see what you see in the clouds or learn to identify some of the different types


62 Listen to raindrops splashing down around you


63 Look closely at your garden - what else is growing amongst the grass


64  Designate a 'no mow zone' in the garden and see what grows when given the chance


65 Hire a boat and take to the water


66 Take a closer look - focus on the details


67 Visit a seabird colony


68 Discover which creatures are making homes in your garden

Tree wasps took over one of the bird boxes last year

69 Visit a farm on Open Farm Sunday


70 Take stepping stones to cross a river


71 Enjoy a wildlife watching trip


72 Peek inside a hollow tree

I found a beautiful hornet's nest inside this ash tree

73 Balance on a fallen tree


74 Enjoy a brew with a view


75 Take a walk at dusk


76 Look for mosses and lichens


77 Admire the beauty in a local landscape


78 Bring a bit of the outdoors indoors


79 Visit an ancient woodland

Wild service tree

80 Get up close and personal with an insect

hornet

81 Set up a moth trap - or go to an organised local moth trapping night


82 Forage for leaves to add to a salad, elderflowers to make cordial...

hawthorn - from garden hedge...
...to my lunchbox!

83 Discover what's lurking in a swamp!


84 Start a nature journal or wild adventures diary


85 Go on a nature scavenger hunt - look for different textures, a particular colour... (Google has plenty of scavenger hunt list ideas!)


86 Go looking for fungi - you can find it all year round if you look


87 Squelch barefoot through some mud


88 Make bread or toast marshmallows over a camp fire (but do follow the usual fire and safety rules)


89 Join a nature organisation such as your local Wildlife Trust, the RSPB, the BTO, the Woodland Trust, Plantlife, Buglife… I could go on!  I believe it is worth paying a few pounds a month to these organisations and I’m a member of all those listed above plus Friends of the Peak District - even on my meagre part time wages!


90 Defend Nature - sign this petition before it’s too late - then go outside and enjoy the natural world!




I hope these three posts have offered you some inspiration! I keep on thinking of things I could have added to the list and could easily write another post or two but have resisted the temptation to go into 'Part Four'! I think there is already plenty of inspiration here and on other blogs / sites out there and we'll all inspire each other as June progresses and we share our Wild Days on social media!

See previous two posts for the part one and part two of my wild ideas!

You can also find inspiration from...

Wildlife Watch
Project Wildthing
Mission Explore
The National Trust
The Wildlife Trusts







4 comments:

  1. More excellent ideas Louise and great photos too. I love the stepping stones photo and that swap photo is an absolute belter, I so love the little monsters in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post. I love the idea of a nature journal - my own journal includes lots of descriptions of nature but for those that don't normally keep one this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I've just popped over from 'the quiet walker' and wanted to say a big thanks!!. Even though it's only day one of 30 days wild, I'm already panicking about what to do. I've only read part three of you list and I feel better. (Brew with a view is a definatel !) thanks again Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading your blog. I feel much better having some more ideas on what I can do. Inspired even. It has given me quite a bit to think about. Thank you. Will look forward to seeing more. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...