Pages

Wednesday, 13 May 2015

A close encounter

On my way home from school this evening, I drove around a bend in the lane and saw a leveret in the road... something wasn't quite right about its behaviour and I as approached, I realised it was blind. It heard the car, but couldn't see it - or where it was going.

I pulled in and watched it zig-zag across the road, finding its way without sight, until it stopped on the grass verge and started nibbling the plants.

I got out of the car and crept up on it, almost silently, without disturbing it. I sat within a foot of it and just watched it!  Both eyes were very red and clearly not working. I've never seen a blind hare before - as far as I'm aware, Myxomatosis doesn't affect hares, only rabbits, so I don't think that was the cause - could it have been born blind? I don't know.

It seemed fine other than the lack of sight - it looked healthy apart from that and it was eating but I don't suppose he'll live for too long with such a disadvantage.


Sadly, I'd lent my usual camera to my sister and hadn't wanted to bother bringing out the DSLR so all I had was my phone, which is very old! Terrible photos, but better than nothing. 


I made sure the hare had returned to the field before I left, rather than wandering blindly on the lane (even though it's not busy).

Obviously, I felt sad for the leveret but it was a magical experience to sit right next to it! I spent about half an hour with it, in the evening sunshine. A sparrowhawk came over too and sat in a nearby tree (if only I'd had a decent camera with me, it would have been a great photo!), as well as numerous other birds.  I thought I'd blog it here as this was such a lovely, unexpected 'wild' moment on my way home from school and it's magical moments like this I hope I'll have more of next month through 30 Days Wild - when I'll be making more effort than usual to seek them out!



8 comments:

  1. Oh I love your magic moment but how sad! Poor hare.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poor hare! I hope that the sparrow hawk didn't have its eyes on the hare. But what a great experience for you! Have a good weekend, Louise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An amazing experience for you but so sad as well. I'm surprised it's survived so long really. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A sad post but nice you got your magic moment Louise. Nature can be so cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww how sad. I wouldn't have been able to leave either before I made sure it was safely in the field. Poor little thing! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Hare - at least it was safe for another day - how wonderful to be so close to it and observe it for a while:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww I really hope the hare will be okay. I'm pleased you were able to sit with him/her a while. There's always a friend in nature. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...