Pages

Thursday, 31 May 2018

Allerthorpe Common and Millington Woods

It's half term this week which means some extra free time to get outdoors so it feels like 30 Days Wild has started early for me!

This is the first school holiday for a long time where I have free time - I've finally moved house so I'm not spending my free time working on the house (though there's still plenty left to do there!).

 Yesterday, I had walks in two different locations - the first time I've walked and immersed myself in nature for far too long!

Allerthorpe Common is an SSSI and Nature Reserve in East Yorkshire, a returning lowland heath with a whole variety of flora and fauna. Wednesday was overcast and grey, damp and drizzly, but that didn't deter me from heading out and I spent a great few hours wandering around Allerthorpe. There wasn't as much wildlife to see as there might have been in warmer, sunnier weather but there was a cuckoo calling throughout my time there, along with yellow hammers, chiff chaffs and whitethroats both heard and seen. I spotted several insects as well, of course...

(I've only named species I knew in this post as I'm not at home right now so don't have access to my usual books to look anything up!)


speedwell




click beetle



common heath moth

'looper'

Some kind of Tortrix month, I think.

My first little grasshopper of the year

A short drive away is Millington Wood, apparently the richest botanical woodland in the East Riding of Yorkshire...


This was a delightful short walk, in the drizzle, after a heavier shower. Many slugs and snails had come out after the rain and the whole walk was filled with the scents of wild garlic and cow parsley.



wild garlic





Millington Wood sits in a valley and at one end of the wood is this view point, looking out across the tree tops.


It's surrounded by farmland, and at this time of the year, some the fields are yellow with rapeseed.





Lords and Ladies, or Cuckoo Pint


Wood Avens



Red legged partridge, we saw quite a few of these today.


Two sites I would definitely like to return to one day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...