Pages

Thursday, 31 May 2018

Cayton Bay, Sea Birds and Bats

Today, I enjoyed my first trip to the coast in nearly two years! 

Driving over, I passed a field full of linseed which was a pleasant sight, and I noticed some Dryad's saddle fungus too.




I had chosen Cayton Bay to see the sea, hoping it would be a pleasant beach and it was. The sun broke through the last of the cloud soon after I arrived too! I didn't do a lot there; a look in the rock pools, dipping my feet in the sea and then just sitting and enjoying the sound of the sea and reading a little.


The largest pool was full of these, which I think are young sand eels.




crane fly





As it wasn't far away, I decided to make a brief visit to Bempton Cliffs on the way home. There, I saw the usual birds - gannets, guillemots, razorbills, kittiwakes and puffins, plus tree sparrows.












There were also a few bugs, of course, including the red and black froghopper (Cercopis vulnerata) and a pill bug.




My time outdoors didn't end there though! Home for a few days this week is a former chapel and so this evening, around 10pm, I took the bat detector out for a walk in the neighbouring cemetery. I saw two species of bat - common pipistrelle and another one that I'm not sure about off the top of my head but was much larger than a pipistrelle and I'd hazard a guess at Brown Long Eared. There were also a few cockchafers around. I could hear them buzzing in the air and also walking around in grass and on the shrubs as well as see them flying by.




Home for a few days


30 Days Wild begins properly tomorrow... I don't have a single thing planned for it yet, I'll just take it a day at a time and see where it takes me :)




1 comment:

  1. You picked a gorgeous day for the trip, your photos look very inviting! Always a joy to see the birds at Bempton :) I must admit i'm playing 30 Days Wild by ear (again), first half of the month is busy so we'll see!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...