I wanted an easy, leisurely day today so after spending the morning at the chapel, I wandered up the road to Burnby Hall Gardens, which is literally a two minute walk away from where I'm staying. It's not a big place, there's not a huge amount to see there but it was a pleasant couple of hours outdoors and worth the £5 I paid to enter.
| Burnby is home to a national collection of water lilies, but only a couple were flowering, they're not at their best yet. |
The stumpery was my favourite area (I knew it would be before I even entered the gardens!). It was in a shaded wooded area, full of bug houses and, as you'd expect, stumps. A more wild area than the rest of the gardens.
It was in the stumpery that I looked up and saw a tawny owl sitting in the tree above! I haven't seen a tawny for a while so that was nice. I purposely waited for a family who were also in the stumpery to stroll by so that I could share the tawny owl with them. They were very pleased, the children took photos on Grandma's phone, so I did my bit to share a bit of nature with some children today :)
After a bit of lunch at a pleasant cafe in town, I headed back to the chapel and sat outdoors reading for a couple of hours. I ate dinner outdoors this evening too.
I was sitting by this little cluster of spiderlings :)
Before I head to bed this evening, I'll be having another dusk wander in the cemetery to see what can I see tonight!
On this day last year, I pond dipped in the garden. The year before that I was at Wild Wednesday, volunteering with Derbyshire Wildlife Trust and the year before that, I walked in the woods in rain.
How was your Day 1?
Love your tawny owl experience, what an beautiful bird! Your first day of 30 Days sounds wonderful! x
ReplyDelete