Make room for nature every June with The Wildlife Trust's 30 Days Wild, no matter where you are or how busy your life! Complete A Random Act of Wildness every day for the month... anything that you can do in an average working day to bring a little nature into your life. Find inspiration at http://mywildlife.org.uk/30DaysWild/
Friday, 22 June 2018
Day 22 - An Outdoor Lunch Break
Ordinarily, I like Fridays as I'm at home in the afternoon and can get things done then my weekend begins on Friday evening. This week, I was home, but oh so tired and with lots to catch up on so my afternoon didn't go to plan and the only time outdoors I managed was when I decided to make a quick lunch and eat it in the garden.
I haven't bought any garden furniture yet - I probably won't do so until next spring since I've not yet done anything with the garden - so I sat on the grass and watched the bees and hoverflies as I ate.
This is a favourite quick lunch - houmous, cucumber and tomato on crackers, topped with plenty of fresh basil. I usually add a sprinkle of nigella seeds too but these crackers had nigella seeds in them already.
I did also enjoy watching the swifts. There were a few low over the garden whilst I was out and I watched around 30 circling right over the window whilst I was at my desk at dusk. I never tire of watching them!
Oh, I almost forgot, I did get in a little bit of nature fun earlier. This morning I had year 2 during playground duty and I played 'helicopters' with some of them. Many of the children hadn't done this with sycamore samaras before and only about 4 children were interested enough to join me, but that's better than none. I enjoyed myself for 10 minutes anyway!
On this day last year, I drank tea by the pond and noticed what was around me, the year before that I only had time to stop and smell some roses and in 2015 I had half an hour noticing patterns, colours and textures in the garden.
Labels:
summer
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Gee, and you didn’t even invite me for lunch!
ReplyDeleteLooks a lovely lunch :) x
ReplyDeleteOh I love the Sycamore helicopters, i've done that with my daughter but not for a while!
ReplyDelete