Make room for nature every June with The Wildlife Trust's 30 Days Wild, no matter where you are or how busy your life! Complete A Random Act of Wildness every day for the month... anything that you can do in an average working day to bring a little nature into your life. Find inspiration at http://mywildlife.org.uk/30DaysWild/
Saturday, 16 June 2018
Day 15 - Rain and Feeding the Birds
Friday 15th June
I didn't have a lot of time today but whilst I was busy at home this afternoon, I heard the sound of rain and was so excited I rushed outside! It hasn't rained properly for so long.
I also put out an apple as I've seen some blackbirds in the garden most days this week. I also put out the last slice of seedy bread (crumbled up) and this evening noticed a few sparrows visiting.
The previous owners of my home didn't feed the birds and I've not done so yet either as it was empty for so long during renovations and now I do live here, I would like to get the garden changes under way before I buy feeders and a bird table so haven't started feeding them yet. I don't see many birds in the garden here at the moment, which is strange having all of my life so far been so used to a garden with plentiful and very varied bird life, but you know, build it and they will come! I look forward to seeing who visits when I have got things sorted :)
On day 15 last year I made an insect watering hole. The year before that, I noticed some honeysuckle and did a bit of wild reading. In 2015 I spotted flowers, newts and shaggy inkcaps on an afternoon walk and then found a lime hawk moth in the evening.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Given your history with backyard bird feeding I am sure you will ensure that the garden acquires lots of native vegetation and cover for the birds....and water, of course. Even a suburban backyard can become a real oasis.
ReplyDelete