Pages

Saturday, 23 June 2018

Day 23 - Orchids at Coombes Valley

I went over to RSPB Coombes Valley for an hour this afternoon. It was too hot for me to walk there, I just spent a bit of time in the meadow, listening to the grasshoppers and chiff chaffs, watching chimney sweeper moths and various butterflies and admiring the flowers and grasses, including greater butterfly orchids.



 I wonder which creature lived in here?


















I sought a bit of respite from the sun underneath this oak tree and found a very tiny moth.








Amber snail



I planned to have a look in the pond before I left as there's always plenty to see in this pond, but the gate was locked today, with a notice to say there could be no pond dipping for the forseeable future as great crested newts have moved in to the pond.



On day 23 last June, I sat in the garden watching bumblebees coming and going from their nest. In 2015 and 2016, by chance, I did the same walk on day 23 - I found lots of insects along the way in 2016 and enjoyed a rope swing the year before.






3 comments:

  1. Beautiful summer scenes of your gorgeous part of the world.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a perfect way to spend an afternoon x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't it perfect in the meadow on Saturday? We were there in the morning:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...