Pages

Friday, 23 June 2017

Day 23 - A bumblebee nest

Today was the first 'normal' day I've had for a while - by normal I mean that I worked my usual hours (not more) today and didn't have to make any trips over to my house for a change!

I had the morning at home to catch up on a few things and have my drink outdoors before it was time to leave. Pa had reminded me about the bee hole in the garden which I've noticed has a nest in it every year, so I decided I would sit by it and watch. My dad had been reminded of it after he was stung just below the eye by one of these bees this morning - he was mowing the lawn and (rather like me!) the bees didn't approve.







I sat and watched the activity for a good twenty minutes! Quite a bit of traffic there was too. The videos are just a couple of minutes.



I was pleased to see a good sized no mow patch left for me. I did ask (as it'll be my last year nagging him about no mow zones!) if he would just leave the whole of this lower lawn wild. He obviously couldn't do it (he likes a neat and tidy (boring) garden) but this is the largest wild patch he's ever allowed me so that's progress - the bees will be grateful too :)





Some the bees from the hole had joined the red tails, foraging in the trefoil. I think the ones in the garden nest are while tailed bumblebees rather than garden bumblebees.



I'd intended to do something else outdoors after school but I stayed a little late at work to give the remaining tadpoles a bit of a clean out (I'd taken in a few litres of fresh pond water) and then it was damp and rather windy and I decided I'd rather just go straight home and tackle some more items on the 'to do' list! It's been a good and productive evening, I'm ready for the weekend now and must make an effort to go beyond the garden on at least one day! 



A look back...

This time last year was just a quick walk by the canal. I suffered Erythema nodosum for a good chunk of last year and walking wasn't always easy.


The year before, it was a pleasant evening and I walked along the same bit of canal, but it was a much longer walk in 2015. Shame I hadn't realised sooner or I could have made it three years in a row and walked there on day 23 for 2017!








2 comments:

  1. A great find and a way to spend the day, I love this Louise! The photo where the bee is just emerging is so cute too and what a stunning shot to get. Love it. - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was quite hypnotic watching the bees coming out and listening to the birds and the breeze! I was only saying to my daughter this morning that I'm missing our no-mow zone this year. We're loving watching the birds coming to our feeder though. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...