Pages

Friday, 30 June 2017

Day 30 - Plant identification and a soldier beetle

I'll be honest, it's been a long, hard 30 Days! School life has been busy, I've had house things happening on top of usual day to day life and I've really felt that there haven't been enough hours in the day for 30 Days Wild but I stuck with it and have limped through the month, largely confined to gardens!


Today I am so very tired and I'm trying really hard to clear a bit of a reading backlog and read most of two whole books today so I can finish the June pile. I'm taking a break from reading to get the blog up to date!

Tiredness and my need to read mean I really lacked the inclination (and time, as I worked extra today!) to do something wild which is a shame as it would have been nice to do something different on the last day. Never mind, hopefully next year will be better :)

When I got home I stood for a little while watching insects visiting this plant on the drive. I didn't have any idea idea what it is, but I've done a bit of searching and hebe seems about right, possibly 'Spender's seedling'?




Whatever it is, it is very popular with a variety of flying things and I spotted a little pupa on it (no idea what that is either but I will try to keep an eye on it).




The only other 'wild' thing I did was my daily drink outdoors. A toast to nature on the final day was mentioned a few weeks ago when I joined in with a drink outdoors each day but I've just had a cup of tea in the garden (again!).


I noticed that the no mow patch now has a few ox eye daisies in it and there was a soldier beetle on one.



The roses smelled pretty good this evening and I noticed another plant had popped up amongst them, I assume self seeded. No idea what it is!








A look back...

On the final day of 30 Days Wild last year, I had a barefoot wander in the garden.


 In 2015, Day 30  I had a pudding picnic at sunset on the moors :)











4 comments:

  1. Great finish to the 30 days, a drink on that lovely lawn, I love how the flowers in the grass look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed a hebe! I think it might be a salicifolia (willow-leaved hebe) rather than stenophylla (narrow-leaved hebe), though - much the same flowers but the leaves look a bit too wide to be the latter. The insects definitely love the flowers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just realised your bottom left yellow rose photo is a parasitic wasp! :-D

      Delete
    2. ooh thanks! I'll have a closer look at the original photo then and check out the difference between that and the sawfly when I get five minutes!

      Delete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...