As soon as I got home, I went for a bare foot wander around the garden and had a cool lemonade outside.
I also enjoyed the scent of the roses, most of them are flowering now.
Whilst I was wandering, I noticed most of the fat cake I put out yesterday (the food I made for the birds at the weekend) was gone, so I topped up the feeding stations.
I noticed how tall some of the plants are getting around the pond too.
Later in the evening, I was cooking dinner before Springwatch and noticed a juvenile great spotted woodpecker eating some of the food I put out. It was on the furthest away feeder and I had to take photos through the window so they're not good. I did manage to quietly open a window to get a better shot but then a jackdaw flew over and scared the woodpecker away.
A look back...
Last year,day 13 was similar to today - just watching insects and admiring the roses in the garden (though not as many were flowering this time last year).
In 2015 I noticed wildflowers, checked on a dew pond and found lots of pondlife in a water trough, as well as finding grouse and golden plover on the moors.

What a lovely garden! All those roses.... and birds!
ReplyDeleteFantastic to get the Woodpecker! I love the roses, we've just planted 3 new climbing ones it'll be a while before we get any flowers though!
ReplyDeleteI just adore roses and it seems to be a good year for them.
ReplyDeleteLoved your photographs.
All the best Jan