Pages

Thursday, 1 June 2017

Day 1 - The Garden Pond

June is here and that means 30 Days Wild ... my third year taking part! My life has recently taken a turn for the hectic as both work and home life is extra busy at the moment but I'm still going to give 30 Days Wild a go!



I had a busy day and didn't even give 30 Days Wild a thought until 6pm... I didn't know what I was going to do. I ended up in the garden, drinking a cup of tea and pond dipping in the evening sunshine. I spent an hour outdoors and rather enjoyed it!

There's a frog hiding beneath my brew, look down from the mug to the edge of the pond then to the right a little.
 
I discovered that the tadpoles didn't die soon after hatching after all - they've just been hiding! There are some really big, round tadpoles in the pond and a few frogs around too.

reflections
water boatman and pondskater

I was pleased to see the birds foot trefoil has started appearing in the lawn now. I've been looking out for it for a week or so.


Pond dipping in the garden pond is rarely brilliant. I have had great crested newts and and smooth newts in this pond, and dragonfly larvae too but I generally only pull out water hoglice, flatworm/leech things and lesser water boatmen!


There were lots of bees and hoverflies visiting the flowers around the pond this evening too. This is an early bumblebee I think.


Such a pleasant evening to be in the garden, Day 1 turned out alright!
 
Also today I have spent a fair bit of time watching the school tadpoles which are living with me for half term. They've grown so much in the last few days which I think is because they've had regular water changes / top ups and a steady supply of spinach which they seem to love.


I've finally got a photo of 'Stripe'...


...there are two really pale tadpoles amongst this lot, a bit transparent with V shaped stripes on their heads.  They're definitely very different to the other 25 tadpoles. I've been wondering if you get leucistic tadpoles and plan to keep an eye on these and see if they become leucistic frogs. Certainly interesting to see.

How was your Day 1?


A look back...

On Day 1 last year I was at Wild Wednesday, volunteering with Derbyshire Wildlife Trust and helping to engage children with nature...  (Which is also what I was doing yesterday!)









4 comments:

  1. Busy day here too, didn't get a chance to do anything until just after 7pm so spent 30 minutes in the garden. Not an ideal start to 30 Days Wild, must endeavour to do better for the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent the evening counting bees :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely that you have such a fantastic pond right in your own garden, great start to 30 Days Wild :) I've just put in a very small one, it still needs a bit of work but i'm hoping for good things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos of the pond. I decided not to do 30 Days Wild this year - it just feels too much at the moment. I might post a few random nature pics though if I get a chance. I've been to check on the grebe chicks today and all three seem to be doing well. I did see a magpie fledgling though but it seemed to be struggling - didn't have it's full tail feathers yet and the parents were constantly calling it. It disappeared into some undergrowth so hopefully it will find safe shelter. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...