Pages

Thursday, 15 June 2017

Day 15 - An insect watering hole



On my way home from school today I decided, with the recent improvement in weather, it was time to put another insect watering station out in the garden. I spent a happy half hour or so setting up my watering hole and putting it out amongst the bird's foot trefoil near the pond. I sat nearby for a little while and had my outdoor drink (ice cold water with lemon) and I refilled the bird feeders again - the birds are loving the fat cake this week - though it's all gone once they've eaten what I put out tonight.



three red tailed bumblebees in the background




I put the watering station here as it's between the pond and the flowers in the lawn so thought this would be a good spot for it. Plenty of sunshine in this part of the garden too.


There weren't any creatures visiting the watering hole whilst I watched, but I did see a few tiny leaf hoppers in the grass and one jumped on to the bit of wood I'd had out of the log store to stand my watering hole on.


There were a few mushrooms popping up around me too. Glistening ink caps if I remember correctly from identifying them last year (or was it the year before that?!).



EDITED TO ADD:  I had a bit of bonus wild time this evening - I fancied some more fresh air so at around 9pm I took a cup of tea outdoors to sit in the garden and do some list making (for a busy Sunday!) and a bit of cloud gazing...

excuse the pile of dried up fox poo! I was sat in the middle of several little piles!





A look back... 

Last year, day 15 was not very wild at all... I noticed and took a picture of some honeysuckle. I did also read a nature based book. Coincidentally, I noticed the very same honeysuckle was flowering again this evening!

 
The year before that, I walked mother's old Westie and later on, found a lime hawk moth in the garden.








2 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea and colourful too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the shots of the watering hole there, the colours look great in the sunshine and a lovely way to help the insects out too. Also love the comparison posts for the previous couple of years too, that moth is just stunning! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...