Pages

Sunday, 25 June 2017

52 Weeks Wild #25

I did consider that 30 Days Wild and my daily blog posts might complicate my 52 Weeks Wild idea when I started it back in January and have considered dropping these posts and resuming them after June but I've decided it won't take much to do a quick weekly round up for the sake of completeness so here goes - wild moments from the past week...

I seem to be stuck in a garden rut at the moment but my wild time this week has at least had a bit of variety, even if it was all garden based. Better time in the garden than no time outside at all, right?!

(The days below are links to the post for that day)


Monday...

Tea in the garden this morning whilst waiting for window fitters to arrive, then a wander round
the garden at the other end of the day, waiting for the window fitters to leave so I could go home! 


Tuesday...

Not a very wild day due to working around the window fitters, school and then losing the 
evening to phone calls between energy suppliers sorting out my own switch, but I did harvest 
some red campion seeds in case I want them in my own garden next year (if I can get myself 
on board with having something pink, I hate pink!)


Wednesday...

Summer solstice and the longest day really was the longest day at school. I didn't get home until 8pm.
I sat on the swing seat and drank silver birch wine. 


Thursday...

Another busy day... drinking tea by the pond when I got home this evening and finding another parasitised aphid (found one a few weeks ago), then coincidentally, learned about them from 
a twitter friend and Gardener's World. 


Friday...

Tea in the garden again, but this time I sat by the bee nest hole and watched them coming and going. This nest is active every year and I think they're white tailed bumbles. Pa mowed the lawn today and one of these bees stung him just below the eye which made him feel like mowing my no mow patch as well, but he's a reasonable man and knows the bee only stung him because he was mowing near the nest... my no mow patch is still intact!


Saturday...

Another day of digging in my new garden! I found a lot of bugs whilst working - earwigs, centipedes, millipedes, woodlice, harvestmen, moths, spiders... I dug up more bricks from the back of the garden and have saved them for now in case  they come in handy when I redesign the garden. For now, I've stacked them up to form a little shelter... maybe a hedgehog might find it or some amphibians?!


Sunday...

I went to the Treacle Market for the first time in ages to see what Kate (a taxidermist) had on the 
stall (I'm after a couple more moths) and then, to get in some time outdoors, I had a wander in Macclesfield Forest.




In other news - the bee nest I was watching on Friday...


Last night a badger dug it up! The nest has been here for at least three years and badgers have been visiting this garden for a lot longer than that. They frequently dig up little bits of the garden but this is the first time one has dug up the bee nest. There's a bit of concrete (I discovered!) under the lawn and the bees were busy in and out underneath that so I don't know if the nest was safe under the concrete of it they're starting a new one. 




How was your week 3?








3 comments:

  1. If you don't like pink, what about white campions or the weirder looking bladder campions? Both native wildflowers the same as the red ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps, but the seeds I've saved this week will give me pink ones!

      Plenty of time to make plans anyway. I've been saving seed packets (bee seeds, the 30DW seeds and so on) for my own garden, so I expect I'll get pink things in there anyway so will have to live with it and get over my irrational hatred of pink (and red!). I do have white herb robert growing all around the garden, which pleases me - only over seen the pink one before!

      I've finished in the garden for a bit now :) Next jobs are for autumn - dig up everything I've left for now, including a big old tree stump, and then dig a pond!



      Delete
    2. You'll likely know what's in the 30DW mix before you plant then, because I'll probably photograph every one of the flowers I get from it... :-D (assuming all the trusts sent out the same mix)

      Delete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...