I wanted to walk. It was pretty wet on Saturday but I don't mind a bit of rain; I was going out for a walk, regardless of the weather. I had a few things to do in the morning and then I had to decide where to walk (there's just too much choice!) so by the time I arrived in Millers Dale, mid afternoon, the rain had drifted south and the weather turned out rather pleasant.
I'd decided to walk to Chee Dale, from the old station in Millers Dale, because I love Chee Dale and hadn't walked there for a long time.
As I've driven around over the last few days, I've really noticed how amazing the early autumn colours are around here right now.
The Peak District is looking stunning. Most of the sights that caught my eye were alongside roads where it wasn't easy to stop to take a photo, and then on the walk, I couldn't capture the stunning colours I'd seen on my travels, but the photos in this post certainly give an idea. It's definitely worth getting out in the Peak District (if you can) to enjoy the season :)
Heading down towards the Monsal Trail and then below that to Chee Dale
It really is a lovely riverside path.
The stepping stones...
| looking back |
I've never walked along Chee Dale and not seen a dipper. There's always several of them. Today I saw 6.
If I'm lucky, I also see a kingfisher here and if I'm really lucky, a water vole. This time is was just the usual suspects - dippers, grey wagtails, kestrels and a raven.
I turned around here to look back at the light reaching into the dale...
I love the sound of the river...
I didn't take many photos after this as my main camera battery died, but I snapped a few on my phone.
These are the other stepping stones...
Looking back...
One last view looking back as I neared the end of the walk.
Seven miles in total, not too bad for a quick afternoon walk.
My last visit to Chee Dale, October 2016 (I can't believe it's been 2 years since I last walked here) :
https://louises30dayswild.blogspot.com/2016/10/wild-october-day-29.html
Monks Dale into Chee Dale, March 2016 :
https://louises30dayswild.blogspot.com/2016/01/day-244.html





What a beautiful walk, so nice to have such a place so close for a 'quick' walk!
ReplyDeleteOh Louise, this was a marvellous walk! I DO love a riverside walk- those stepping stones are so beautifully situated! The fungi you saw were beautiful, especially the frilly tufts! I would love to walk somewhere like this so close to home!
ReplyDeleteIt is not hard to see why you love this area. I have very fond memories of walking through the Peak District several years ago and of the Dippers along the streams. Wonderful part of Britain.
ReplyDelete