Pages

Sunday, 25 November 2018

A Lost Village and Pike Low

Last weekend I went back to Ladybower Reservoir, where the water levels are still very low and the old Derwent village remains are even more exposed than they were when I was here a few weeks before.


I started at the Fairholmes Visitor Centre and walked towards the Derwent Dam (I hadn't been here since the very first Hen Harrier Day, 4 years ago).



There was a bit of low cloud around and lots of sunny spells, so some very nice light and, at times, mist.



I followed the path around Ladybower from the Derwent Dam, until reaching a point where I could leave the path and walk down into the reservoir.



Water levels haven't been this low for a long time.





Two villages - Derwent and Ashopton - were flooded in order to create reservoirs here in the 1940s.  These photos show the remains of Derwent Hall, which you'll find plenty of photos of on Google images if you're interested.



This page offers a bit more information and a few old photos of the area - 

and there's a history of Derwent Hall here - 


There is a lot of very soft mud here of course and many people have been getting stuck, including one man who ended up chest deep in it, requiring the services of the local Mountain Rescue to get out. You have to use a bit of common sense and watch where you're walking (though I witnessed many people here lacking in the common sense department) but there is also some good firm ground where you can easily explore the remains as long as you stay on said firm ground.




I took the opportunity to sit on the old Love Seat as I may not get the chance to do so again.


Back in the day couples could sit in this secluded spot and enjoy the views which were, at the time, beside the river - all whilst sitting out of sight and unobserved!  I just had my camera for company on the seat, so took a (leg/welly) selfie!


This is the view from the seat now, not a river any more but the water remaining in this section of the reservoir.


After a bit of exploring of the ruins, I returned to the path that loops around Ladybower, but then crossed it and headed off up the hill.




The view (zoomed in) over to the 'Salt Cellar' on Derwent Edge


Heading up Pike Low...


and looking back down...



 A nice, neat bit of walling...


Looking back to Ladybower...


This scene caught my eye, a rather monochrome view.


Dovestone Clough...


Another view back towards Ladybower...




At this point, I crossed the barren lands of a grouse moor. Only a few grouse to be seen on land like this, nothing more...






From here, I zig-zagged down towards Derwent Reservoir...





in the last of the day's sunlight.


There's the dam again...








Five miles walked in total and a very pleasant route.










1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed that. A beautiful, and interesting, photo journey. I would have liked to have seen Ladybower exposed, as it were, but there are only so many hours in a weekend. Lost villages are always intriguing - but sad; I wonder how many couples sat on that seat before it was flooded, and what happened to them all. Distressing to hear about the vandals that have been removing stones and leaving graffiti; there are some real Neanderthals in our society!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...