Pages

Saturday, 23 February 2019

A Walk at Wycoller

Another sunny day and another walk with the family.

This walk was shorter than the walk we did the day before due to another family member joining who can only manage shorter walks these days.

We parked near The Atom Panopticon...



and set off across fields


 I love seeing the old vaccary walls here....



Pendle Hill in the distance...





These Be Nice Say Hi campaign sings are appearing - they're in the Peak District and the Yorkshire Dales. A collaboration between cycling and horsey societies to encourage safe passing of horses.


Deep Clough Beck




I was surprise to see new hawthorn leaves in February. It has been so mild though.



The remains of Wycoller Hall alongside Wycoller Beck...


The hall is thought to be the inspiration for Ferndean Manor in Jane Eyre.






There are 7 bridges along the beck. The oldest is thought to be 1000 years old, the clam bridge. I've never seen that one though. This was only my second visit to Wycoller and both times have been with the family who have chosen the route. One day I'm going to revisit and see all 7 bridges.


In Wycoller village itself you'll see the old packhorse bridge (below) and Clapper Bridge (above). I believe the packhorse bridge featured in a film version of The Railway Children and dates from the 15th century. Clapper Bridge is more recent dating from the late 18th or early 19th century.



After a look in the cruck barn / museum, we headed up hill back towards the car park.





A very enjoyable walk, but a bit short for my liking as this was not even 4 miles!



3 comments:

  1. The weather has been great for walking the past few days, very odd for February! Such fantastic views and interesting to read about the bridges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful views...
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...