Pages

Sunday, 25 September 2016

Forest School & Macclesfield Forest

Last Saturday saw the return of my monthly volunteering at Forest School with Derbyshire Wildlife Trust (we had a month off in August). We had a dragon themed session where we found evidence of dragons living in the woods around Carsington Water and then did some Andy Goldsworthy style art, with an optional dragon theme.

A parent created this piece in honour of the sun and saying goodbye to it as we head into autumn...


Everyone else stuck with the dragon inspired art theme...

Here is a dragon breathing fire. He has ferns for ears and red berries to make an eye...


One little boy found a forked stick and noticed there was already an eye (can you see the little knot at the base of the fork?!). He decided it was a dragon with an open mouth so added some fire, with leaves for legs and sticks to make a spiky back...

 

Next, we have a family effort - a brother and sister with a little help from mum and dad. It was hard to get it all in one photo and show the details. Obviously, it's another fire breathing dragon. This one has stones for the sharp teeth, an eye made of blackberries, a spiky back and sticks laid out in triangles on top of the tail. The children also found a stick with a tiny piece of bracket fungus on it which they used as an eyelid - brilliant!


One little girl made a home for a dragon.


Another girl used berries to create a dragon's eye.


The following day (last Sunday), I walked in Macclesfield Forest. I was on a mission to collect loads of natural materials (pine cones, feathers, sheep wool, acorns, helicopters... all sorts!) for autumn and winter wildplay events, at the request of my boss at Staffordshire Wildlife Trust. I came home with a pretty good collection but I still need to find a load of acorns, conkers and other seeds so I will have to head out on another treasure collection walk soon.








That brings my blog almost up to date after a couple of weeks 'off' from blogging! I've had a few wild moments over the last week too which I'll probably add here and I'm out with the Wildlife Trust this afternoon too so I may add a photo from today's event if I have time to take any!

As we head towards October, I'm considering doing another 30 Days Wild in October (but 31 days obviously!), I've not fully committed to it but I'm thinking I might give it a go and see how far I get, if I can do it through the first week at least, I'll be likely to keep it up for the whole month I think!





8 comments:

  1. I love the dragons, such imagination! Autumn is such a good time of year for being creative! Lovely cobweb :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of great, creative ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dragon theme you had, these are so cool! I must get out soon and do some nature art, especially while the leaves are still crunchy and just beginning to turn. Love that feather you found too! Also, about your question of all of the names of the stones: I remember most of them but there are a few I have to go back and double-check :D - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of 31 Days Wild. A celebration of autumn like the 30 Days event celebrates spring. You should start a hashtag. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I will... #31dayswild or #wildoctober maybe? Will you join in?!

      Delete
    2. It'll be a challenge in the week as the mornings and nights start to close in, but I'll certainly try! The first week should be easy though - I'm off work. :-D

      Delete
    3. Great! I'm off in the last week for half term so hoping that'll be easy and the weekends should be ok. It'll be harder on the school days but I'll try!

      Delete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...