| Candytuft, one of the many self seeded plants on the drive |
I thought we had a team meeting after school on Monday and therefore expected a late finish at school, but we didn't! This meant I was able to leave school a little before 4pm and spend some time at home in the garden...
Vetch and hawthorn were starting to flower
Red campion had joined the dandelions around the edge of the pond
And the first bogbean plant had popped up in the pond, with another just about to reach out of the water.
Whilst I was noticing the hawthorn flowers, I also noticed this little thing (I think it's an aphid, perhaps full of smaller aphids, but please tell me if you know!)...
I also had that moment this week - suddenly realising that the lanes are tree tunnels in places again and there are so many bluebells along my journey. The bluebells came out in force over the weekend! I said exactly the same thing this time last year too. I really don't like where I work, but it's a pleasant journey between home and school along all the lanes :)
Wednesday morning dawned bright and frosty. I was up early enough to have a cup of tea before school and drank it sitting in the garden, listening to the birdsong. It was a busy day at work, a parents morning relating to our current 'Down in the Jungle' topic. The children dress up on these days and staff do to some extent too... I wore my animal dress for the occasion!
When I got home on Friday my 30 Days Wild pack had arrived. I'm kind of wondering if it's a mistake to say I'm doing 30 Days Wild this year - life is busy at the moment and I have a lot to do in the next few months but I'm going to make an effort!
I also enjoyed the rain on Friday - the smells, the freshness... we've not had a lot of rain recently. It was only showers throughout the day but still very pleasant.
Today I spent a little time in the garden...
| more bogbean appearing |
| and cornflowers too |
| There's lots of hawkbit in the lawn too. |
and then went out for a while and ended up having an impromptu picnic in a park in Ashbourne, with a mistle thrush hopping around nearby and a couple of squirrels.
| (I know we've not had enough rain for mud for ages, but wellies are my default weekend footwear!) |
Next week is another busy week with some overtime plus two after school meetings at work and, unusually, lots happening out of work too. Time outdoors will be in short supply I expect but I'm sure I'll squeeze in some wild moments.

OOoh, such nice images!!! I love your bluebell tunnels!
ReplyDeleteGood luck for tomorrow ;-) x
Thank you :)
DeleteThe joy of doing 30 days wild though is that it can be the tiniest of things and it all still counts :)
ReplyDeleteOh I love your animal print dress Louise, that's so cute! The first photo of the candytuft is gorgeous too, what a pretty flower! I know what you mean about 30 Days Wild, I always have good intentions but feel that general life can get in the way so I want to try and make an effort to join in again this year, and I hope you get to do it too, but don't feel bad if you can't - life is hectic! I hope the next week goes smoothly for you too lovely, and thank you for brightening my day with all of these lovely photos. - Tasha
ReplyDeleteLove all the flowers and the view down the frosty valley. Still not sure about 30 days wild myself - I think I need a break from it. It's not been helped by the grebes breeding so early this year as I won't be able to post endless pics of them! x
ReplyDeleteI've got a bit behind reading your blog, but catching up slowly! Your aphid kind of is bursting with babies, or at least one baby. It's become the pupa for the larva of a parasitoid wasp that's been growing inside it. One less aphid, one more aphid predator!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comment - very interesting, I didn't know aphids were a host for anything like that, I've learned something :)
Delete