Make room for nature every June with The Wildlife Trust's 30 Days Wild, no matter where you are or how busy your life! Complete A Random Act of Wildness every day for the month... anything that you can do in an average working day to bring a little nature into your life. Find inspiration at http://mywildlife.org.uk/30DaysWild/
Friday, 31 January 2020
January
December was not a good month for getting outdoors (or doing anything at all for that matter!). I've not been myself over the last few weeks and have had a lot going on. Energy levels have been at an all time low and motivation to do anything has been lacking. January was much the same. I barely left the house, aside from the days I had some work. I had a lot of time at home and haven't done a lot with it but there were also some pleasant days in there too, so I thought it was time to drop back in here with a January round up kind of post.
On New Years Day I took a picnic lunch out on to Windgather Rocks. This wasn't my chosen location, but soooo many people were out and about that day, there was no where to park at my preferred places so this is just where I ended up. It was so cold and windy! My colleague on the South West Peak team at Staffordshire Wildlife Trust drove over to Wales for a walk and had blue skies and warm sunshine over there on the same day!
One grey, showery Monday I met up with my former Forest School colleague who I worked with last year for lunch, a chat and a little walk. We chose Ilam as it's somewhere familiar to both of us and about in the middle of us both distance wise.
This was a nice sunrise one morning before we set off for a Wildlings session.
And an outdoor tea break one afternoon when I had indoor work and needed a bit of fresh air.
January was a pretty grey and gloomy month around here but sunshine did come through on the odd evening and this was a nice sunset one Friday.
Another gloomy day, another Wildlings session (this was before we set up).
Towards the end of the month, there was one Monday when I'd stayed home all day - on a rare sunny day - and then got fed up at about 4pm with my continued staying indoors, wasting lovely days... a quick wander up to the trig point on the Roaches with a hot chocolate was my spur of the moment plan to get outdoors for an hour just before the sun set.
With the lack of proper winter weather here this winter, so many flowers are popping up early and at the end of January, I was inspired to get out for a proper walk (at last!) and look for some snowdrops.
Driving over the moor, three red deer stags crossed the road ahead of me and wandered up and over the hill...
I was surprised as I've never seen them on this part of the moor before and when I do see the red deer around here, it's usually not around midday!
You can always find plenty of snowdrops in the villages around Dovedale, so I did a short walk, just 4 miles, around Milldale and Stanshope. What we've lacked in snow and ice this year, we've more than made up for in mud and puddles. I don't mind mud at all, but I really would like to see some actual winter before the season is over. A few dustings of snow and a few frosty mornings just doesn't cut it!
There were so many snowdrops in the villages and along lanes. I didn't take many photos but it was nice to see them.
A few little hazel catkins appearing too.
On the last day of January I had a full day of work delivering a stone aged themed session to a school group. It was grey and damp all day but the sky cleared as I drove home and this tree caught my eye in the late afternoon sunshine.
So, that was my January. I'm hoping things will pick up now, mood and energy wise and I can get myself back outdoors! In other news I have a new job! A new contract with the wildlife trust. It doesn't start for a little while and is just another short term role sadly, but the timing is good and it'll be nice to have regular work again for a little while.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)