Pages

Sunday, 26 February 2017

52 Weeks Wild #8

A collection of my wild moments from the past week...


Despite being off work for half term, I've not actually had a great deal of time to myself so the weekdays have been pretty quiet on the wild front, with the exception of Wednesday when I did a day of Wildplay with Staffordshire Wildlife Trust.


It was a rainy day, the path to the woods was thick with mud and we all went home filthy! We had a campfire, den building, slack line, clay, a trail, bug hunting... standard Wildplay activities.During my lunch break, I stood next to a tree and watched this goldcrest hopping around for a few minutes.


The ground at the edge of woods was covered in tiny sycamore shoots.


Thursday was a good day for staying indoors. The day Storm Doris passed over the UK. I had a lot to do at home anyway but in the afternoon, I was keen to get a bit of fresh air so headed out (not for long though!) and took a few photos. Luckily for me, my trip out coincided with a few calmer moments in the day. The lanes were littered with large branches than had been ripped from trees and a few trees were down too. There was a lorry blown over near Flash too, but then that happens quite often without stormy weather so wasn't really a surprise! This was the view over the reservoir towards the rocks.


On Friday the sun was shining but it was still rather windy. I went out in the afternoon for a mooch on the moors above Home.  I didn't see any curlews but they'll soon be back, they start arriving at this time of year. The next day I saw it reported that first 1 on Wednesday, then 2, then 17 at the end of the week have been spotted at the reservoir.


I have a lot of favourite trees and these are two of them. I often think about starting a monthly tree series with these two!


Yesterday was damp and windy but I decided on a walk around Ilam. I knew the route I wanted to do and set off, through the churchyard...


Down past another favourite tree...


and over the bridge...


Only to discover that all the paths I wanted to walk were closed thanks to Doris and strong winds. Another path was blocked by a tree and deemed unsafe due to rocks potentially falling. It started to rain quite heavily at this point but I wandered a little more before giving up.



I didn't venture out at all on Sunday. I had a pyjama day as the weather was very windy and showery again and I fancied a quiet day at home before back to school day tomorrow!

How was your weekend?









2 comments:

  1. The shots of the goldcrest and the sycamore shoots are just lovely! A really nice selection of wild moments here Louise. I haven't ventured out much this week so need to rectify this this week! Love those snowdrops too. Hope first week back at school goes OK for you too! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great selection of photographs and I especially love those snowdrops.

    Storm Doris wasn't too bad for us - but now they are talking about Storm Ewan.

    Good wishes for the month of March

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...