Pages

Sunday, 19 February 2017

Lantern Pike

I fancied walking up Lantern Pike this weekend so, yesterday afternoon, I set off from the village of Hayfield along the Sett Valley Trail.


This trail was a railway line until about 1970 and while I'm not a big fan of railway trails, this one is one of the more interesting in my opinion as it has open views around it and today, was lined with scarlet elf cups and candle snuff fungus.


This is one of the views from the trail, looking across to Lantern Pike.


After walking perhaps a mile or so along the Sett Valley Trail, I took a path off to the right.


Then started to ascend.


Kinder Scout in the distance below. The sun was shining over Hayfield (in contrast to fog at home and driving over) and the air was so mild. I was too hot on this stretch of the walk and at one point I feared I might go home with a sunburnt head!


Heading up the heather and grass slopes to the top of Lantern Pike. There were quite a few skylarks singing up here today.


The name of this hill comes from the beacon tower which used to stand on top of it. The tower fell into disrepair, was ruled as dangerous and then demolished in 1907.


These are a couple of view from the top, looking east to Kinder, then a little further round back towards Hayfield.


I was heading north.


After descending Lantern Pike I reached a junction and sat down on top of a stile for some refreshment and to decide which of the routes available I wanted to take.


I decided to take the longer way back so headed north a bit more and then over Matley Moor.


Before crossing the main road and heading over the moors in the distance in the photo above.


This section of the walk was a bit dull. I was walking over a grouse moor so it was all quite barren and boring.


I enjoyed cooling my feet in this stream we crossed.


There's the shooting cabin I was aiming for, with Kinder Scout ahead.


Here, I turned right and followed Snake Path back to Hayfield.


I believe Snake Path is an old trader's route and was apparently opened in 1897 by the Peak and Northern Footpaths Society as part of their aim to win public access across the moorlands.


That's Hayfield ahead, not far to go now.


Back at the car, I had clocked up 7.4 miles on today's walk - the longest walk I've done for ages! From here, I went on to Glossop and had an early dinner (or late lunch!) in the new Pizza Express there before heading home. A pleasant start to half term!






2 comments:

  1. It looks like a beautiful place for a walk. Those red flowers (I think they are flowers) are so different and beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're mushrooms! Scarlet elf cups.

      Delete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...