I parked in Elton and started my walk at the church, where there were lots of snowdrops in the graveyard.
The route goes across farmland, which is very muddy and very slippery at the moment!
To my surprise, I made it all the way without hitting the ground the once (though there were a good few near misses) and I reached Dudwood Lane without getting mud anywhere other than my wellies!
Following Dudwood Lane, which is part of the Limestone Way, and then the track leading to Cratcliff Cottage brings you to the bottom of Robin Hood's Stride. I took a little detour though, adding a little extra mileage, walking through the wood to the hermitage at Cratcliffe Tor.
The hermitage is a simple cave in the rock, flanked by yew trees and now fenced off. There's a crucifix carved into the wall and it's thought to have been inhabited in the 12th century, in the days when hermits - also respected holy men - lived at lonely places along important pathways to provide sanctuary to weary travellers. There is an ancient portway here, just beneath the hermitage.
I wandered up to the top of Cratcliffe Rocks...
and then down again, across the site of a ring earthwork and on towards Robin Hood's Stride, which is also known as Mock Beggars Hall as some think the two rock formations at the top of the outcrop make it look like a large house. I didn't take a photo of the whole outcrop today as the rain was blowing right onto my lens when I was standing below it, but google images has a few if you're curious.
| Weasel Pinnacle on top of the outcrop |
| The view from Robin Hood's Stride |
As I clambered down from the top, there was a lot of activity in a nearby tree and I saw that it was full of long tailed tits. I've not seen any of those for a long time.
I left the stride, heading towards Harthill Moor, passing close to Nine Stones Close. This is a much photographed stone circle, with only four stones remaining now. One is thought to be a gate post just out of shot below but I don't know what became of the other four, though it is recorded that there were still seven stones standing in the 1800s. There are lots of bronze and iron age sites in this area, and Nine Stones Close is one of them. It's also known as the Grey Ladies and, of course, has various legends and stories attached, including that of a farm labourer who one day found a clay pipe by the stones, smoked it and could then look through the surface of the earth into fairyland!
From Nine Stones, I added another little detour to walk to Castle Ring at Hartshill Moor Farm. Castle Ring was an iron age hill fort on the ancient portway track which passes Robin Hood's Stride. The farmer has built a wall around it, presumably where there would have been an iron age wall, and sheep are kept within it now.
The rest of the walk skirted small woods, crossed farmland and took me over Anthony Hill before descending down a lane. Elton is just on the horizon in centre in the next photo...
I crossed the fields rather than following the lane all the way, joining a snowdrop lined track leading back to the churchyard where my walk began.
With my two small detours, I added a mile to the route so this was a 4.5 mile walk in total...not too bad for a rainy afternoon I suppose. I'm working tomorrow so this will probably be my only walk this weekend. It may have only been a short walk today, but it was worth getting outdoors for.
You have some great walks close by, it's funny isn't it what you think as a fairly common bird, I see Long-tailed Tits almost daily, a couple were in the garden yesterday, yet they don't seem to be too common for you?
ReplyDelete