Pages

Sunday, 1 October 2017

52 Weeks Wild #39

A collection of my wild moments from the past week...

The last week of September began with Wildlings again. These Monday morning wildplay sessions really mess up my weekly routine and it's a rush to get to school for my afternoon at work, but I have really enjoyed starting the week with a good dose of fresh air, outdoors, in the place I grew up. Monday is the last Wildlings session at this location as they're running in different locations around the south west peak in four week blocks...













This colourful dog rose leaf kept catching my eye this week. It wasn't until I looked at the photo on my computer that I realised that the leaf miner creating the wiggly line on the left of the leaf was actually still there, munching away. You can see the yellowish colour of the creature just at the end of the line.


It was late at night when I looked at the photo and noticed the leaf miner so I went out with a torch to see if it was still there and how far it had munched...


I'm guessing it's a rose leaf miner moth -  https://www.ukmoths.org.uk/species/stigmella-anomalella/

A green shieldbug nymph hidden amongst the roses in the garden

Thursday was a lovely weather day and I collected my first conkers of the year.



Friday evening's sky

Also this week I did my first Friday 'outdoor learning' sessions at school. A new teacher is keen to get the children outdoors (a first where I work) and asked me if I'd lead it since I'm outdoorsy and forest school trained. It's not easy as I don't have a lot of time (there's a lot of children to get through) and we're seriously lacking in 'wild' (just grass, a few cherry trees and two sycamore trees) but I'll do what I can.

I took children out in three groups of ten on Friday (no photos for the blog, due to safeguarding of course) and we just had a little walk around the school grounds and chatted about autumn a bit, looking out for anything interesting as we walked. We saw leaves with varying colours, shapes and sizes, mushrooms, berries on a shrub and apples on a tree in a pot by the main entrance. Just before home time, we tasted an apple from the tree too.

It was a really simple 'outdoor learning' session but the children returned to class full of excitement, telling everyone that they had 'been on a adventure' and sharing what they had seen or picked up and taken back to class.  I think it was a success!

I've also initiated a good, old fashioned, nature table in my class which I'm introducing next week. My school is very OTT regarding health and safety and risk assessment so I didn't think it would be allowed (because you know, nature is all deadly and dirty and the children would just eat the contents of the table and be poisoned or something) but when I asked I got a very surprising 'yes'! I need to collect something myself for tomorrow to start it off.





 🍂  🍃  🍄


How was your September? Are you enjoying the change in season? 




3 comments:

  1. How fantastic you've got the opportunity to involve the children at school in nature, I loved having a nature table at school when I was a child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos, so pleased the school is letting the children "out" into the wild, even if it's just the play ground. I loved the nature table at school, I am sure the kids will be eager to bring things in.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I would like a nature table at school! Hmmmm, wonder if I could do something somewhere!
    You are a great inspiration in terms of installing a love of wildlife in the young! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...