Pages

Sunday, 29 October 2017

52 Weeks Wild #43

A collection of my wild moments from the past week...

Monday and Tuesday were very windy days and quite wet but I didn't mind as this half term was dedicated to house renovations so I spent the vast majority of it indoors, painting and sanding and sweeping!

I had a day of Work with Staffordshire Wildlife Trust on Wednesday though and we were so lucky with the weather. Still windy but a bright and sunny day!  We were on The Roaches in tne morning for a Wild Families session with lots of clambering over boulders and free play, plus den building, clay creations, apple spider webs, bug hunting...




We did the same activities in a local park in the afternoon (minus the clambering though) and found a bit of fungi too, including a little fly agaric.



 Thursday, Friday and Saturday were all long days at the house so I didn't spend any time outdoors. Family came to help over the weekend and on Sunday, I left them to it as I needed to catch up on things at home and also remembered that I needed to replenish the nature table at school (we had a contagious illness in school before half term so everything had to be cleaned and the contents of my nature table had to go in the bin!).

I spent half an hour or so in the woods whilst the others were painting and I was really rather relieved to be let out and taking a break from it all! The sun was shining too which was an added bonus. I tried to collect some oak leaves but only found 2 that didn't have galls on. I saw quite a few pea galls as well as spangles.










Have you been outdoors enjoying the season this week?









3 comments:

  1. Now this is Autumn at its best!
    Fabulous photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mushroom looks almost too perfect to be real! I admit I had to look up pea galls, but I'm glad I did. We have an oak in our front yard. I wonder what I will find if I look under the leaves? I also tried to look up what a spangle was in correlation to trees... And I couldn't find anything. So forgive my lack of knowledge, but what's a spangle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I should have written spangle galls really - it's another type of gall, you've probably seen them on oak leaves. I've just done a google search and found a short video which shows them well and explains them a little.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8JvbIWXsP8

      Thanks for your comments, glad you have enjoyed the photos :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...