Pages

Sunday, 24 December 2017

52 Weeks Wild #51

A collection of my wild moments from the past week...

School finished for Christmas this week but despite having a few days off work, I've not had any free time to play outdoors which is a shame because it has been a very foggy week here and I like fog!
Every day I've had places to be, people to see and things that I needed to do... This is just how life is at the moment, I can't wait for next year when things can get back to normal and I can have my weekends back!




I managed to spend a couple of hours outdoors on Wednesday though, between taking Grandmother for an appointment and getting home to take a delivery. Derbyshire Wildlife Trust were spending a couple of days re-making the giant head hibernaculum at Carsington and requested help from the volunteers. I could only spare a couple of hours but that's better than nothing!

This is a photo I took on my phone during the time I helped, the structure in progress...


The buckets you can see above are the ears and have had the bottoms cut out so creatures can crawl through into the centre of the structure which is filled with roof tiles and stones. The surrounding shape is made of sand / soil filled sacks which insects can crawl into. The top is filled with compost and grass will grow there for hair.

This is one of the head at the end of the second day (sent to me by DWT)...



I've been a completely rubbish volunteer and sessional this year with so little time to give to DWT but I do hope to do a bit more with them from spring of next year :)







1 comment:

  1. The foggy photos are beautiful! The giant head is quite something!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...