Pages

Friday, 5 August 2016

A Bat Detector Workshop

I volunteered at Wild Wednesday again this week with Derbyshire Wildlife Trust doing sweep netting, campfire bread and various other nature related activities and crafts. There was a staff & volunteer workshop (with a few places for the public too) that evening so we planned to have campfire cooked baked potatoes between Wild Wednesday and the bat workshop but the weather turned at the wrong time, from sunny spells to heavy rain just when we needed to start cooking and I ended up dashing home for an hour instead!

We met up again later on in Matlock Bath for a bit of a training session on bat detectors and bat identification, which was led by Katherine Boughey from the Bat Conservation Trust. We looked at sonograms, repetition, tone, duration and pitch in calls and how to find a bat's peak frequency on the detector plus other bat related knowledge including surveys. After a couple of hours in the classroom we headed out for an hour, walking through the woods and alongside the river.


We found Daubenton's bats, Common Pipistrelles and Sopranao Pipistrelles on our short walk.

As well as the bats, I enjoyed the colourful spiders... The bridge in Matlock Bath has colour changing lights along it and many cobwebs...















2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really interesting and fun evening - I'd love to get involved in something like this! Is it something you just book onto if you're interested in taking part? Is there a chance the Wildlife Trust will take you on full time at all, or is this voluntary for the time being? I love those colourful spiders too - the colour changing lights really add to the mystery in these shots. Lovely! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a different way to capture the spider webs they look so magical! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...