I travelled to Stamford on Thursday to spend a few days staying in a great little cottage in order to visit Birdfair and a few other places.
Before checking in, I spent a couple of hours revisiting Barnack Hills and Holes. I've only ever been here in August, never earlier in the year when the wildflowers are at their best (I must at some point!), but it's a great site even in August. There I saw plenty of grasshoppers and butterflies, loads of six spot burnet moths and their pupal cases and, just as I was leaving, a newly fledged wood pigeon sitting on the path! It couldn't yet fly, but did waddle over to the long grass at the base of a tree as I approached.
Arriving at my accommodation, this damselfly landed on the wall just as I got out of my car.
The cottage sits next to a paddock surrounded by a wild flower border
and there were grasshoppers stridulating and green woodpeckers nearby
too, the soundtrack to my stay!
Friday was the wettest day of my stay so I spent it at Birdfair. In the evening, I attended the Rewilding Britain talk, hosted by Chris Packham, which was very good.



I love those shots of the cinnabar moth, so pretty and I can imagine the sounds of the grasshoppers in the evening was so calming. The wood pigeon fledgling is so cute too! This place looks so calm - lovely photos! I'm sorry my posts aren't showing up as well - I've had this problem with several other blogs but no matter what I do, there's a delay - can only suspect it's a fault with blogger, so I often check blogs manually myself now to try not to miss too much. - Tasha
ReplyDelete