Then I drove up to a little cottage in Guisborough for a few days, travelling via Whitby to see if the abbey was lit up at night.
| Guisborough Priory |
On Friday I visited Saltburn by the Sea as it wasn't far away. I didn't rate it at all so didn't stay for long, but it was good to see the sea!
I spent the rest of Friday exploring the North York Moors a little and also visited the Moors National Park Centre, near Danby, which was a lovely place. Crow Wood is right by the car park so I had a walk through the trees before heading back to Guisborough too.
On Saturday I headed out to sea from Whitby on a four hour whale watching trip - we saw lots of seals, quite a few harbour porpoise and several minke whales. I didn't take many photos as it was so windy again so photography wasn't easy - on a boat, on a choppy sea, with moving subjects!
| Leaving the harbour in Whitby |
![]() |
| minke whale fin |
| minke whale fin |
| Approaching Whitby again after the trip |
I travelled home on Sunday, calling in at RSPB Fairburn Ings which I didn't enjoy at all. I walked the paths but found they're all quite far from the lakes with little to see bird wise, a lot of Himalayan Balsam which smells vile (the scent makes me feel queasy!) and seemingly no attempts whatsoever to control it (so it's just spreading all along the riverbanks as well as the reserve) and the scenery wasn't very pleasant either.
After a disappointing visit to Fairburn Ings, I spent Sunday afternoon at RSPB Old Moor near Barnsley before going home. That was a much better place and deserves a post of it's own which I will write soon!



I've just recently been looking at booking a whale watching trip for next year, it looks beautiful despite the choppy sea! It's funny isn't it Fairburn is one of my favourite places to go but i've read before it can be a bit hit & miss for others. I'm looking forward to your Old Moor post :)
ReplyDelete