Pages

Tuesday, 30 August 2016

Coombes & Swineholes

I spent yesterday afternoon at RSPB Coombes Valley (which has featured on this blog a few times) and Swineholes Wood SSSI (which I don't think has appeared on this blog before).


Bird wise, I didn't see a lot here. There was a young jay, a lot of wrens and a heron.

The canopy walkway is finally open. Not quite as originally planned due (I think) to some rotten tree issues and it was shorter and much lower than I'd expected, but I guess it's better than no walkway at all. It was good fun - very bouncy, quite like walking across a trampoline!



I took the Woodcock Trail as it has lots of log piles along it and is usually good for a bit of insect spotting. Today I saw a hornet, or perhaps two. I've never seen a hornet here before so I was quite pleased with that (all the hornets I've ever seen have been further south / east, around Northamptonshire or Nottinghamshire).




artichoke gall

lizard on a log pile

red legged shieldbug

Ephialtes manifestator, a sabre wasp


This caterpillar dropped out of a tree and landed just in front of my toes - a second later, it would have landed on my head! It was in the middle of the path and there were people approaching from the other direction, so I put it on the tree he fell from and he started climbing up it.  I think it's an angle shades moth but I'm saying that from memory (after identifying one a while back) so I may be wrong. I have been corrected - it's a green silver lines moth.


devil's bit scabious


bog hoverfly

A few miles away from Coombes Valley is Swineholes Wood, a heathland site and SSSI...



I munched bilberries as I walked!


a newly formed knopper gall
 

well camouflaged amongst the bilberry bushes









I think this cocoon is an emperor moth, after seeing one last year and being told that's what it was.


I spotted Minninglow on the horizon...


Minninglow can be seen from a lot of places around here! It's a round barrow containing neolithic burial chambers (once again, a place featured on the other blog).


cowberry





There was a real autumnal feeling to the air today and some very autumnal woodland scents. It's been feeling autumnal for a few days here with cold, misty mornings that smell of woodsmoke!



7 comments:

  1. Great lizard photo! And the sabre wasp too! I've so far failed to get a photo of one of them.

    I think the skydiving caterpillar is actually a green silver-lines moth, very similar to angle shades but for that yellow collar. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you for that.

      I photographed the same wasp here last time (quite possibly on the same log pile!) laying eggs - http://louises30dayswild.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/day-363.html

      Delete
    2. I think I'm going to have to pay a visit to RSPB Coombes Valley. :-D

      Delete
    3. There's always something to see there. I reckon late May is probably best as there are plenty of active birds as well as the inverts. Might see an argent and sable moth then too (I haven't manage to yet, but have found evidence of them in the birch)

      Delete
  2. I love Jays such beautiful birds we used to get them in our old garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both look like lovely places. The galls were really interesting particularly the artichoke one and I love the photo of the 2 mushrooms nestled in the undergrowth. Amazing to see a lizard too - you have a great eye! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of these are wonderful shots, but that first one is especially captivating to me.
    I found you through Tasha and hope you'll come link up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/08/purple-passion.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...