Saturday was a lovely sunny day on the hills in the Peak District with inversions in the valleys! I set out with plans but then things changed on the way and I ended up just having a walk in Lathkill Dale.
The first photo was taken just before descending into that fog you can see in the distance...
The start of my walk in Lathkill Dale (going backwards this time, the opposite way to that which I usually walk this route!).
The sunshine doesn't reach parts of this valley during the winter months.
The water levels are high enough at the moment that the river was flowing overground all the way down the dale and also spilling out of the cave. Centuries of lead mining in the area have significantly lowered the water table here and at dry times the river flows only underground.
Over the bridge over the clear water and up into Cales Dale...
Through the farmyard at One Ash Grange...
Then over the fields towards Monyash, where I began...
This is always a lovely walk to do, but my favourite Lathkill Dale walk is still the March 2013 walk, after heavy snowfall during the week! The snow was melting fast but the drifts remained - as did the snow where the sunshine doesn't reach. I chose to walk over the deep drifts that day rather than where snow had receded and kept falling in to them (or falling over!). There was a nice overhang of snow on the top of the dale too (top right in the collage). There were so many photos from that walk it spilled across two blog posts, but I've just included a few here.
Heading home, I couldn't resist stopping several times to enjoy the inversions in the valleys...
A beautiful end to the day :)


Oh those shots of the inversions in the valley were just stunning! They're such mystical photos and I love the walk you took here, it looks like such an interesting and wild place. Loved the throwback shots of your snowy walk back in 2013 too - I always hope it will snow that much each year! - Tasha
ReplyDelete