I had a day off today :)
I had things to do at home but managed to get out around 2 for an hour or so and decided to have a quick walk at Ilam, just in the parkland around the hall...
I followed my usual route, saying hello to the old copper beech...
Then over Bertram's Bridge.
As a rule, I like to walk in the woods on the hill on this side of the river but the bridge I need to cross the river again further down is still out of use (it's been so long, it frustrates me, I'm not sure they're ever going to repair it) so I wandered along the path a little way and then turned back.
After crossing Bertram's Bridge again, I wandered alongside the river on the hall side,
Had I gone up into the woods I'd have missed the fungi and alder catkins...
This is only a short walk
Soon I'd looped around and was at the tea room, but resisted the temptation to go and see what cakes were left today!
This is part of the hall. It's a youth hostel, so if you fancy a stay in a pretty nice spot in the Peak District... https://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/yha-ilam-hall
I followed the path away from the hall, down past the church.
I like to wander past the old oaks and sycamores as I leave :)
Were it not for this little 7 Days Wild, I would definitely not have gone outdoors today, I'd have done some admin or reading or other indoor stuff at home, but I really loved getting out on this grey afternoon and wandering alone through the landscape so thanks to the Wildlife Trust for getting me outdoors this week :)
A lovely end to the year.
I have another day off tomorrow and a half formed plan for a walk, perhaps at Macclesfield Forest but then I'm likely to change my mind regarding where to walk several times before I get my boots on tomorrow... decisiveness is not one of my strengths!
I can't pick my favourite picture, they're all grand!
ReplyDelete