Make room for nature every June with The Wildlife Trust's 30 Days Wild, no matter where you are or how busy your life! Complete A Random Act of Wildness every day for the month... anything that you can do in an average working day to bring a little nature into your life. Find inspiration at http://mywildlife.org.uk/30DaysWild/
Saturday, 5 September 2015
Day 97 - Tittesworth Water
I had to go to Tittesworth Water this morning to pick up a box of leaflets and magazines from my contact at Friends of the Peak District* so I thought I may as well spend my Wild Time today there with a visit to my favourite bird hide...
Above is the view from the hide. There is usually water covering all of that bright green in the foreground but reservoir levels are low at this time of year. I wasn't hopeful of seeing much in the way of bird life from the hides. There were only a couple of crows visible from this hide but that's all. I did hear some lapwings, but they weren't within sight. Usually, I'd have been able to watch garden birds on the nearby feeders but they were all empty so it was very quiet.
I love the views from this hide though :)
These are the rocks which give 'Five Clouds' (the long stretch of rocks in the photo above, on the left) their name - the five outcrops you can see below, which you might be able to make out in the photo above to if you enlarge it.
After appreciating the views I left the hide. On the other side of the bridge that crosses the reservoir there were the usual birds to be seen - gulls, geese, ducks, cormorants, (juvenile) lapwings and a heron but no sign of any other birds.
Then I spent a bit of time watching the little birds on the feeders near the visitor centre - the only two feeders with anything in them!
* I voluntarily distribute Peakland Guardian magazines, membership leaflets and event posters for Friends of the Peak District to places I visit on my travels (cafes, museums, visitor centres - anywhere that will take a few!) to support their attempts to publicise the charity and increase membership.
Labels:
birds,
Home,
rocks,
Staffordshire Moorlands
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)