| (enlarge to read) |
It was a lovely day for it!
A fox moth caterpillar...
Some natural treasure. A tawny feather I'd guess but I don't know.
There were loads of house martins and swallows above - I managed to capture one of each here!
The heather looked amazing in the sunshine, as always, and the smell - oh the scent of it on the breeze today was just wonderful.
A pair of ravens overhead
That's a fever fly dangling high up in the photo below!
Sulphur tuft maybe?
A silver Y moth
Also spotted today were 2 kestrels and a peregrine falcon. There were ring ouzels up here earlier in the year, but I think I'm too late to see any now until next year.
A man amongst the group (from the High Peak local group) told me this is an emperor moth (well, it will be one day hopefully!)
| kestrel |
| Hebridean sheep |
What a lovely day out. I'm always torn because I'm not a fan of walking in big groups, but warden/ranger lead walks are always so informative.
ReplyDeleteYes... I like to be on my own really but I do like discovering new places/things etc so I do like to go on guided walks for the information!
DeleteThe heather is SO beautiful! You're walking through a purple haze! I'd LOVE to see a massive moth catepillar like that! I saw some sort of Hawkmoth yesterday which I was excited about but I was in the middle of mowing the lawn which disturbed it, so I didn't get the chance to study it! There was also a HUGE dragonfly in my garden yesterday- WHERE did it come from? Never seen one of those before!x
ReplyDeleteYou do find them in various places, not always by ponds etc! It was probably an emperor dragonfly or maybe a broad bodied chaser? Depends if you got a good look at colours etc, there are many kinds!
Delete