The first snow of the season last night :)
It's nice to have some weather that is appropriate for the time of year! I didn't think the snow would last through the night but it was still on the ground this morning and started to melt when the sun rose. It was a day of clear, blue sky but a strong wind and very, very cold!
Today was forest school day with Derbyshire Wildlife Trust. Usually, we have three sessions in a day, two family sessions and a kids only session in between, but only 1 child had booked on to the kids only event this time so that session was cancelled.
Today, we did a lot moving to keep warm in between practising using flint and steels to light cotton wool, learning about Kelly Kettles, gathering fuel for the fire and then ending the session with hot chocolate.
I had turned up expecting to be there for at least 2 sessions but after discovering that the middle session was cancelled (leaving a 2 hour gap before the next family session, which was the same activities as the first) I decided to head home after the first session. There was another Wildlife Trust staff member with us today so I wasn't really needed anyway! I took the scenic route home and spent the afternoon getting on top of washing and cleaning :)
I'm really pleased I was able to get the chores done this afternoon - that frees up my Sunday for something else and means I can relax tonight - a take away and Doctor Who for me this evening!
I'm dying to see some snow here, though I think I can wait until my Christmas leave. I had a moment of excitement today when I spotted what I think was a cormorant on our local lake! What on earth it's doing here, I have no idea. Funnily enough I saw one at Brockholes in the summer so wonder if it was the same one. My wild moments have been few and far between though with the dark mornings and evenings and I'm full of a cold too :(
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing quite like fresh snow is there, only for me it's in your lovely photos.
ReplyDeleteAnne xx