A frosty start to the new year, I started the day, before sunrise, admiring the frost patterns on the windows and seeing how frosty it was outdoors!
Later, I walked from Bakewell to Hassop Station, a little under five miles in total.
From the town centre I headed out of town alongside the river.
All the pools of water in the fields were still frozen over with a thin layer of ice.
As I walked alongside the River Wye, I spotted a Kingfisher and followed
it as it moved from tree to tree along the riverbank. I didn't get any
good photos of it, but it was nice for a kingfisher to stay still long
enough for a photo at all as I don't usually manage any!
I said hello to the cows...
Then made my way up hill and over the fields
Bakewell in the distance below, you can see the church spire and the town to the left of that.
The track was very slippery, covered in sticky mud!
I passed a tree covered in ear fungus
There were lots of goldcrests in an oak and a sycamore, along with some nuthatches and various tits.
From here I joined the Monsal Trail. I don't like the Monsal Trail, it's flat, boring and full of people and dogs, but today it was convenient. At Hassop Station I stopped for a bowl of delicious fries (good food there) and a drink and then I whizzed back to Bakewell along the trail.
I had planned to follow the trail to the very end and then walk back into town, but the flat and boring became unbearable so I got off the trail and little sooner and cut back into town via the sheep and alpacas!
Here's the river again in the town centre.

I'm envious of you seeing a kingfisher - that's been on my wish list for years! X
ReplyDeleteA Kingfisher - how wonderful:)
ReplyDeleteHi, found your blog via Bunny Mummy...and I'd love to know more about that building behind the cows. I'm in the US and we just don't have some of the great history & beautiful old stone bldgs that you have.
ReplyDelete