I sat and watched a large flock of redwings for a little while this afternoon. They were flying around between trees, down to the fields and then back to the trees and many kept landing on a large oak tree. The two below are perched at the top of the oak. It was another dull, grey day, as you can tell from the photo!
I also saw a couple of woodpeckers. I've seen a lot of great spotted woodpeckers lately. I wonder if there are a few more around than there usually are in January because of all the mild weather? I'm sure I've read in one of my birdy books that quite a few woodpeckers die at this time due to cold and lack of food so maybe more have survived than usually do. Or perhaps I'm just in the right places at the right times more often at the moment and am noticing more.

I do envy the variety of birds you have on your doorstep. Thanks for the encouragement about Year in Books (and the tip about thin books!). I'm definitely planning to sign up and have been making time to read each day even if only a couple of pages. I don't do twitter though so will have to skip that for now. x
ReplyDelete