I know this plant as Jack by the hedge, a name that it gained as it is often seen growing in hedge margins, but it has quite a few names including garlic mustard, penny hedge, poor man's mustard and hedge garlic. The scientific name is Alliaria petiolata and it's a member of the cabbage family.
Jack by the hedge is a fairly common plant found in hedges, woodland edges and along country lanes. The chopped leaves can be used as an addition to salads or in sauces. It can also be used to make pesto. I've never eaten it, but the taste is said to resemble a mixture of garlic and weak mustard.
The plant was used medicinally in the past - as an antiseptic, as a poultice to treat cuts and ulcers and it was also used to treat bronchial complaints, asthma and worms.
Lovely photo, I like to find out were plants got their name and what they were used for.
ReplyDeleteAmanda xx
Lovely shot here Louise, I always find it interesting to learn more about the different uses of these plants, especially in medicine. - Tasha
ReplyDeleteExcellent photo, I think orange tip butterflies lay their eggs on it? I didn't realise it had medicinal uses
ReplyDelete