Pages

Sunday, 22 May 2016

Day 357 - A Walk below Burbage Rocks

I fancied a bit of ring ouzel-ing today so went for walk near Burbage Rocks. I chose this spot because it's where I've seen ring ouzels before and there's a flat, even path which doesn't have to be a long walk. My feet and ankles are much improved today but the knees are still not good when bending/weight bearing so I'm not keen on anything that involves hills or scrambling at the moment!

Anyway, I set off along the path...


I watched this paraglider for a while, wishing I could have a go!


There were lots of meadow pipits around


and lots of walkers and climbers, but no sight or sounds of ouzels.



There were absolutely loads of striped millipedes!



This one pooped on my finger!


Sadly, most of the ones I saw were drowned in puddles.


Or squashed flat by the many feet that travel this path...


 I saved this spider from the path, just before another group of walkers came along...


and wherever I found living millipedes, I moved them on to a safer place.




I also found a dead burying beetle,  Nicrophorus vespilloides.


I got so distracted saving creatures on the path from being squashed I almost forgot to look out for ouzels. Then I heard one (it sounded like it was telling off a climber) so I stopped and sat on a rock and saw the ouzel flying around between the trees below. I didn't manage to get a photo this time.



That was my only ouzel sighting for the day, unfortunately. I saved one more creature, a little beetle and then had an ice cream before heading home!








1 comment:

  1. Wow! I don't think I've ever seen a striped millipede in the flesh, I've certainly never seen that many of any species together at once!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...