Pages

Monday, 1 February 2016

Day 246 - Weird Winter

Today I noticed a couple of flowers (just a couple) on the cherry tree. I was pretty surprised to see them (though I had noted last week how covered in buds it was) - this is not how it usually looks in January / February. Talk about a weird winter!

This tree doesn't usually have buds until March (I always notice the change in silhouette when the buds appear) and flowers usually in the second half of March, though it didn't begin to flower until late April in 2013 after the cold spring.

01.02.16

Thanks to doing the 365 project since 2012, I actually have photos of this tree in bud and in flower for each of the last few years which I always enjoy comparing year after year... just for my own little bit of phenology! I thought I'd include them here for comparison.

2012 - 8th March & 16th April

 

2013 - 11th March & 26th April


2014 - 11th March & 18th March


2015 - 23rd March & 8th April

 


I wonder what the tree is going to look like this March and April if it's already flowering?  I'll be sure to take photos around 11th March and sometime in April for comparison!




4 comments:

  1. I can't believe how early that is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was at the Whitworth a couple of weeks ago, there was a cherry tree in full bloom. It was in a sheltered spot but that's ridiculously early. Weird winter for sure! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too notice one tree flowering on the way to work ...
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know why I'm not following this blog Louise as I'm following your other one.. I am now though. I've seen trees in bloom too.. so early :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...