Pages

Thursday, 18 February 2016

Day 263 - An Afternoon Walk in the Sunshine

The weather has been lovely today! The day began with fog which didn't clear until mid morning. I watched it burn away as the sun rose, receding into a layers (as in the photo below) and then roll in again creating thick fog all around and swallowing the landscape. This happened a few times, then the thick fog stayed put for a while!


I had lots to do today but managed to get everything done by 2ish so this afternoon, I walked around the reservoir (five miles) in the sunshine. I know I've walked around it twice already this year (Day 224 & Day 238), but it's still time outdoors, noticing different things and experiencing different sights, sounds, smells, weathers... it may be the same place but the walk itself is different every time!

For a change today, I walked around in the opposite direction (I usually do the walk 'backwards', today I did it in the direction most people walk it). It wasn't too busy, being a weekday, and once I'd gone more than about two miles from the visitor centre and play area, I didn't see many people at all. Just what I was hoping for!





I had the forethought to dig out my little cow flask and fill it with tea before I left the house! I never take a flask with me normally as I hate carrying a bag, I like to be free and unencumbered - plus I'm not a fan of any drink that's been flavoured by a flask! This is not a long or difficult walk - not one that requires rest stops or tea breaks but I had decided I was going to have a couple of stops anyway, just to enjoy sitting by myself and being outdoors. This was my first stop - I'd gone off the main path onto another path where I knew there was a bench and was pretty sure I wouldn't be disturbed. I had ten minutes to myself in the woods before carrying on.





















As I walked along, gulls were piling on to the water, another flock flying in and landing every couple of minutes.



Above was my view from the spot I picked for my second tea break! I found a recently felled tree trunk and sat on the stump to have another cup of flask flavoured tea and a piece of caramel shortcake! The water was just out of sight when I was sitting, but I watched more gulls coming into land (and a couple of cormorants).



I found this little piece of lichen just next to me on the tree stump, not attached to it, just sitting there.



I'm almost back where I started from now, about another half mile or so back to my car.



I found a few of these plants growing on tree trunks... no idea what they are!


The different colours and textures caught my eye below...




I think this final photo looks like I've done something with selective colour to bring out the crocuses but I haven't. The stone was grey and bark chippings very faded so this is how they appeared. I guess the yellow of the flowers just makes the rest of the scene look even more colourless.


It has been a good day - everything crossed off the to do list and a walk in the sunshine too! Now I can spend what's left of the day reading and drinking tea without the added flavour of flask!










3 comments:

  1. I cannot think of a better place to rest than a tree trunk. And no matter how flasky your tea tastes the cow print sure looks like it makes up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks such a beautiful sunny walk!!! I know what you mean about flasks but it IS nice to be able to have a hot drink!!!. I love that photo of the water sluicing down and it really does look like you selected one colour for that photo!!!Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your photos, especially the one of the sheep. You live in a beautiful part of the country.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...