My monthly day of volunteering at Forest School with Derbyshire Wildlife Trust :)
We had two very busy family sessions at which we learned how to shear lash a couple of sticks together (if this sounds familiar, we did this at a kids only session a few months ago too) and then and talked about the usefulness of this in shelter building...
then, we just happened to discover some 'rockies' who had crashed into the woods and found themselves lost and in need of shelter... how convenient!
The children set to using their new found lashing skills, with a little help from their adults, and built homes for the rockies!
The family session is popular so we do the same activity twice with different groups and in between the two family sessions there's a kids only session for children aged 9+.
At today's kids only session, we used tools to make a kazoo! Simple and fun! I made one for myself and was delighted when I tried it at home and it worked, hehe! The group of boys we had today had a great time and it was a very noisy session towards the end - the parents were really pleased to discover they were taking home kazoos when they came to collect the children ;)
I didn't take a photo of the finished kazoos but you can see one here.
I'm intrigued by the idea of a kazoo that isnt hollow without a membrane!!!Xx
ReplyDeleteI should have taken more photos to show it clearly! Ideally, we'd have put a long blade of grass between the two halves of wood, but as it's winter and there wasn't any suitable grass to found, we used flat rubber bands. A hollow was whittled out of one piece so there was a bit of a hole to blow through. You can see a band wrapped around one half in the last photo and if you click the link at the very end you will be able to see the sort of 'hole' we made to blow through. They worked really well!
DeleteI love your forest school posts, they're always so interesting and I love what you end up creating. The kazoo's look awesome! I love the rockies too, the googly eyes are brilliant. - Tasha
ReplyDeleteHello Louise, what a gorgeous post working with the kids on fun things. You are such an amazing teacher. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Anne! I only turn up and help out... the planning of the events / activities is all down to the lady at the Wildlife Trust!
Delete