A quick walk this afternoon, 4.3 miles around Danebridge (a favourite area, and one where I can never resist a dip in the river!)
At the beginning of my walk I had fantastic view of a kestrel and watched him swoop down from a tree, pick up a bit of soil wrapped around a worm, then land on the tree just ahead of me to eat the worm. In the first photo a gust of wind has just nearly blown Mr Kestrel off the branch so his wings were out to regain balance.
There was a dipper on the river
and four ravens flew overhead (only three pictured, but there was a fourth).
I also saw another kestrel, five buzzards, redwings and starlings through the walk, as well as two song thrushes and the usual smaller birds. I met a pirate tree too!
Here's today's dip in the Dane! The camera was perched on the riverbank for this shot.
After passing a couple of weirs, I crossed the bridge and headed uphill
I found some (what I think is) orange jelly fungus on a fence as I crossed a field.
A view towards The Cloud at Bosley. Another nice hill to walk.
Jodrell Bank in the distance
and Shutlingsloe
I found a great lichen and moss covered wall where I spotted Cladonia coniocraea and other Cladonia cup lichens - possibly Cladonia asahinae (the pixie cup lichen) and / or Cladonia chlorophaea.
A very pleasant couple of hours outdoors :)
Just 100 days remaining now to the end of 366 Days Wild!
Pirate tree? I googled, and got a book or a lot of treehouse pictures. So what is a pirate tree?
ReplyDeleteI was just being silly! There's no such thing as a pirate tree (as far as I'm aware!), it was just seeing the tree pictured that has grown around a hook and absorbed it, like it has a hook for a hand!
DeleteI though maybe the hook was something pirates used for whatever reason. Oh, well. LOL I really enjoy your blog, thanks for putting it out there.
DeleteHello Louise. This looks like a lovely walk with some great views and sightings of two of my favourite birds, a kestrel and a dipper.
ReplyDeleteI love the pirate tree - what a great find and the shot of the dipper and kestrel are lovely too. That pixie cup lichen is so cute! Lovely photos as always and I can imagine this was a lovely walk to take. - Tasha
ReplyDelete