...to Marsden (in West Yorkshire) where I had a little wander around the village in the rain and saw my first crocuses of the year
| ear fungus |
| alder catkins |
| There's a fish pass in the weir here, in the River Colne |
Then I went to my hotel for a couple of hours respite from the wind before heading out again after dark for the Imbolc Fire Festival - a brilliant event.
Imbolc is a pagan tradition celebrating the end of winter and the first stirrings of spring, with emphasis on renewal and regrowth.
The evening begins with a parade, walking about a mile, with lanterns, drummers and fire.
Then there's a performance involving fire displays and a battle between Jack Frost and the Green Man, spring overcoming winter.
Owing to wind and rain, plus the large crowd, I only took bad photos this evening!
I did make a video of the last minute of the fireworks display. I like that all the fireworks were flame coloured - golden, orange colours to fit in with the return of the sun.
The evening was brought to a close by the Mr Fox fire dancers. I love the fox dance at Langsett (I didn't make it last year but you can watch the dance in a couple of videos from my 2014 visit HERE and HERE - well worth a look!) and tonight was great as always, despite it being on a smaller scale and in poor weather!
Walking back to the car, I spotted a little well dressing too.
Despite the weather, 3000 people attended the Fire Festival this year!
Wow! Looks a wonderful event and your photos show the atmosphere well. Love the photo of the crocus and the bridge over to the church, Marsden looks very interesting:)
ReplyDeleteSounds such an interesting event - just my kind of thing. X
ReplyDeleteA really interesting post. I didn't know about Imbolc before! I so need spring this year, it is my first winter retired and I am in danger of getting cabin fever, I am trying to make more effort to get out, even on less clement days! I will be glad when it is less muddy though! I am sure the festival lifted the spirits! Elaine
ReplyDelete