Anyway, today I fancied a walk through the wild garlic in Cressbrook Dale. It's been a long time since I last walked these paths. I started off just outside Wardlow Mires, near Peter's Stone and all the common spotted orchids...
That lump above the orchids is Peter's Stone, the site of the last gibbeting in Derbyshire in 1815. I read an interesting book all about it earlier this year! From here I made my way down into Cressbrook Dale.
| looking back |
| looking back again |
There were lots of insects out on the sunshine today. I think this one is a wheat stem borer (Cephus pygmaeu), a type of sawfly.
| Cryptocephalus hypochaeridis |
In Cressbrook Dale...
The wild garlic smelled so good!
Another sawfly, this time Tenthredo ferruginea I think
| unidentified hoverfly |
The wood avens was popular with bumbles bees and Heineken flies
I thought this stick looked like a praying mantis or something popping up from behind the wall! It definitely has an eye!
This was (as is often case!) a make it up as I go along walk, so after leaving Cressbrook Dale and arriving at the mills, I walked alongside the River Wye for a little while.
Here I watched trout jumping up for flies.
Then I headed up the steep rocky path to Cressbrook Hall
where I saw a speckled yellow moth.
I carried on, up through Cressbrook and then following paths across the fields to Litton.
It was hot in the evening sunshine so I stopped in the shade for a few minutes respite. Thank you little sycamore tree!
Moving on, the orange of these parasite attached to some mating flies caught my eye as I passed nettles along the edge of the path.
Looking towards Litton ahead...
and to the right, a slightly zoomed in view towards Peter's Stone
Almost back at the car, here's a view of Peter's Stone and the dale from the road...
Just before I reached my car, I noticed this at the side of the road...
A dead violet ground beetle (I think) being dealt with by a load of ants.
Two good walks in two days this weekend! There's only two more days to go in my Wild Year... I wonder what tomorrow will bring?!
I hope your blood tests come back OK and they help - I'm sending you some good vibes! I love these shots you got Louise, the sawfly's are amazing. What camera / lens do you use for those close-up shots? I'm starting to save up to get a camera and you always get stunning shots. - Tasha
ReplyDeleteWonderful photos, the wild garlic looks like snow in the woods, what a beautiful sight. I hope all goes well with the hosptal tests and visits:)
ReplyDeleteWhat a stunning place - love the orchids and wild garlic. Good luck with the tests. x
ReplyDeleteLooks so beautiful there. And peaceful.I didn't know about your poor feet.So I hope they improve.Well done on completing a year of Wild.:)
ReplyDeleteLooks so beautiful there. And peaceful.I didn't know about your poor feet.So I hope they improve.Well done on completing a year of Wild.:)
ReplyDelete