As is often the case, I left the house without a plan! I didn't know for sure where I was going or what my wild time might turn out to be, though I knew snow was involved - you have to enjoy it whilst it lasts!
I took in some favourite view and had a little wander...
In the view below, I looked out for short eared owls - just in case - as I've seen them hunting over this moorland on a few occasions. None today.
On the high ground the snow is still deep in places. This is one of my footprints...
After that wander, I went onwards and had another little walk on another patch of moorland, not far away.
There were some great clouds in the sky - all sizes, shapes and quite a variety of colours too.
I turned a corner and noticed a large brown bird soaring over the moorland. At first glance I assumed it was a buzzard...
but what luck - I quickly realised it was a rather short-eared-owl-shaped sort of buzzard! I had the best views of it that I've ever had of an SEO and I stood out in the cold for a good half an hour watching it hunt. It kept flying really close and almost overhead, and twice landed in distant trees for a couple of minutes before carrying on! I didn't get any really good photos as I'd forgotten my gloves (so had frozen hands!) and with zooming in and it being quite windy - plus the owl constantly moving - it wasn't easy to get an in focus shot, but I was just so pleased to be watching it and having it so close to me at times.
I did get a couple of reasonable photos at least :)
Eventually, I lost sight of the owl and didn't see it again. I noticed it was raining in the distance and as the owl had disappeared and I was pretty cold, I decided to head home...
... just as it started to snow again. I loved the light below with a bit of sunlight illuminating the falling snow flakes against. The white snow against that grey sky.
What a brilliant wildlife encounter!
Make room for nature every June with The Wildlife Trust's 30 Days Wild, no matter where you are or how busy your life! Complete A Random Act of Wildness every day for the month... anything that you can do in an average working day to bring a little nature into your life. Find inspiration at http://mywildlife.org.uk/30DaysWild/
Saturday, 5 March 2016
Day 279 - A Short Eared Owl in the Snow
Labels:
birds,
Home,
moorland,
peak district,
Staffordshire Moorlands,
weather,
winter
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So exciting to see the SEO! Loved the last few shots with the light on the snow against the glowering clouds. X
ReplyDelete