Pages

Saturday, 15 June 2019

30 Days Wild : Day 15



I was supposed to be working a long day at Derbyshire Wildlife Trust's Wildside Festival, but due to the recent high rainfall, it had to be postponed so I had a bonus day off. It was busy one, I have so much to do at the moment, but after doing a food shop this afternoon I decided to spend an hour on the rocks.

There had been some heavy and prolonged showers today but I managed to time my visit to coincide with a bit of sunshine.






I can't believe how much cuckoo spit I'm seeing everywhere this year. It's obviously a good year for froghoppers! 



I spotted several different bumblebees on a patch of brambles...





A cranefly, Tipula vernalis. Look at those green eyes!


A green sawfly, Rhogogaster viridis




common heath moth



I saw a beautifully coloured common lizard too. I did see the whole lizard, but of course, it hid as soon as it realised I was there.



Another lizard, in the rock this time!



weevils


I think this moth is a Smoky Wave, Scopula ternata, but please do correct me if you know otherwise.


In the space of about 45 seconds whilst walking, I had a curlew fly by rather close and then a cuckoo, which I'd been hearing in the distance, suddenly called very close and then took off and flew right in front of me! It must have been perched on a rock really close. There he goes...






This is what I love about 30 Days Wild... I've been struggling with it all week, and I only walked up on the rocks because I needed to do something wild today, but of course I had a great time and I saw so many things!



How was your day?





2 comments:

  1. I have still to see a lizard in the UK or for that matter a snake! I have struggled with the 30 days wild this time, I was very unprepared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an experience seeing the cuckoo fly past! I have heard them a few times I have visited the countryside. I too have seen so much cuckoo spit! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...