Pages

Tuesday, 4 June 2019

30 Days Wild : Day 3 : Garden bugs and Well Dressing



A work day today so I spent a lot of time outdoors :) I'm absolutely loving my current job (sadly it's only temporary, but this has confirmed that I don't want to go back to school so I'm really hoping something else comes up for me!). My day job at the moment could make 30 Days Wild easy for me as I'm engaging children with nature most days and spending more time than ever outdoors, but that feels like cheating as it's for work, I'm doing it every day anyway, so my mission this June is to do something 'wild' on top of whatever I do in my working day.

Today, I've done shelter building, simple knots and scavenger hunts at work, then I came home and looked for insects in my garden for a while.


Off the top of my head, I think this is a hoverfly larva (pupa?) but I'm not sure why I think that... I could be totally wrong. I need to look it up!


I spotted a variety of inverts... beetles, spiders, bees, earwigs...



Loads of snails too!


Later, a spur of the moment decision was made to head out for a short walk to see Tissington well dressings (a few days old now, not at their best).





Well dressing is a local tradition in and around the Peak District in which flowers, seeds and various other natural materials are used to decorate wells in an ancient custom possibly rooted in pagan worship of the water deities.
















It was a cool and showery evening but nice to get out for a short walk :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...