Make room for nature every June with The Wildlife Trust's 30 Days Wild, no matter where you are or how busy your life! Complete A Random Act of Wildness every day for the month... anything that you can do in an average working day to bring a little nature into your life. Find inspiration at http://mywildlife.org.uk/30DaysWild/
Saturday, 11 July 2015
Day 40 - Log pile life and garden camping
I had a few wild moments at home this morning. Whilst hanging out some washing, I found a spider on a pillow protector... he must have been in the washing basket as he was on the pillowcase when I pulled it out. He ran towards a peg and tried to blend in!
A bit later I was kneeling on the grass and this little moth landed on my knee.
Then I noticed something in the log pile... the first evidence of life! Something has crawled out of the wood...
I also noticed a harvestman...
I don't yet know what it is that has crawled out of the wood and left this case behind. I had to work in the afternoon so haven't yet had chance to investigate and have a busy week ahead - if any one reading this knows, please tell me!
My main random act of wildness today though was camping in the garden! Only because the tent was bought nearly two years ago and has not yet been used, so I thought it better have a test run before any proper camping takes place!
It was brilliant - a glass of wine, some chocolate, the light fading and moths and bats coming out. There were loads of bats flying around and two different species I think, based on the sounds from the bat detector (though I've forgotten what I had learned last year about identifying bats - can't remember which sounds are which species any more!) - this needs further investigation one evening!
I sat in the tent doorway for a while watching them, then realised I could sit on the swing seat (which the bats were swooping past) so moved over there for a while.
It was a brilliant evening!
I was, of course, woken by the birds! There are lots of them, particularly sparrows, and what a racket they make early in the morning, from about 5am to 9am! This was the view when I opened the tent at about 8:15, before heading inside to shower.
I'm really looking forward to some proper camping over the summer holidays!
Labels:
camping,
dusk,
garden,
home for nature,
invertebrates
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I've been finding lots of bugs landing on the washing too. Intrigued to find out what insect left the case behind. x
ReplyDeleteLooks like a lovely evening to spend outdoors watching the bats. I too will be interest to know what insect left its case behind:)
ReplyDeleteMakes me wish I had a garden. Wouldn't be quite the same in the back yard.x
ReplyDeleteNice post Louise, good to see the insects making use of the log pile. Camping, great act of wildness. I know what you mean about the racket the birds make early in the morning. They woke us up when camped outside one day during June.
ReplyDelete